Recycling Collection to Resume on May 4th
The Town of Hempstead Department of Sanitation is happy to announce that recycling collection services will resume, starting on Monday, May 4th. Staffing issues related to the COVID-19 virus made it necessary to temporarily suspend curbside recycling. The top priority for the Town of Hempstead Sanitation Department is the safety and well-being of the public and sanitation/recycling workers.
Starting May 4th, residents are asked to resume placing recyclables at the curb for pick up on their regularly assigned day. If you are unsure of your assigned recycling or waste collection days, please call the Department of Sanitation at 516-378-4210.
Please note that the Town of Hempstead Department of Sanitation’s service area includes the communities of Barnum Isle, Bay Park, Bellmore, Bethpage, East Meadow, Harbor Isle, Levittown, Lido Beach, Merrick, North Lynbrook, Point Lookout, Salisbury, South Westbury, Seaford, Uniondale and Wantagh.
If your waste and recycling collections are provided by a special sanitation district or village, please contact them for information on service or schedule changes. Visit https://hempsteadny.gov/
Visit hempsteadtownny.gov or the Town of Hempstead’s Facebook page for any updates on services provided by the Department of Sanitation or any other town service. For further information, call the Sanitation Department at 516-378-4210.
The Town of Hempstead Department of Sanitation thanks residents for their patience and understanding during this difficult time.
Other Important Town COVID-19 Updates
- The second-half school property tax deadline has been extended to June 1, 2020, without penalty. In an effort to provide a “safer” and convenient payment option during the COVID-19 pandemic, Supervisor Don Clavin and Receiver Jeanine Driscoll announced the opening of three additional drive-thru payment locations for taxpayers starting on May 18th. For more details: https://hempsteadny.gov/files/
- Hempstead Town marinas are open, but in accordance with updated guidelines released by New York State: https://hempsteadny.gov/press-
releases/2371-clavin- announces-re-opening-of-town- marinas-and-unveils-new- safety-guidelines-for-boating- season-during-covid-19- pandemic
- Lido Golf Course has reopened. No walk-ups – reservations must be made online only. Before heading to the course, please read the following golf safety regulations: https://hempsteadny.gov/files/
- Parks Update: Lido West Beach is closed until further notice. The following contains a list of other temporary closures and postponements within the Parks and Recreation Department during the COVID-19 pandemic. https://hempsteadny.gov/files/
- Hempstead Town Hall remains closed to public access, but the dedicated CSEA Local 880 workforce is still working hard to provide essential services to residents. Call our hotline at (516) 812-3600 or email the following departments at:
In Case You Missed It
- Supervisor Don Clavin discussed the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the present and the future of the Town of Hempstead in his column published in the most recent editions of the Herald Community Newspapers. You can check it out here: https://www.liherald.com/
stories/nourish-your-hopes- but-do-not-overlook-realities, 124465?