The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation is pleased to announce that several Long Island State Parks will remain open during the nighttime hours for viewing of the Perseids Meteor Shower on the evening Wednesday August 11th, 2021. Peak viewing times are predawn, August 12, 2021.
There will be no charge and the normal star gazing permit will not be required. You must remain near your vehicle.
We suggest that you dress appropriately, bring bug spray, and a chair that reclines. Binoculars are not necessary. Look towards the northeast and enjoy the celestial show.
State Parks that will remain open for viewing are:
- Jones Beach State Park – West End II
- Sunken Meadow State Park – Field 3
- Montauk Point State Park – Upper Parking Lot
- Wildwood State Park – main Parking Lot
- Orient Beach State Park – Main Parking Lot
- Hallock State Park Preserve