Supervisor Saladino and Councilman Labriola unveil the new dog-friendly parklet signs at a neighborhood park in Syosset. Shown are Peggy Heijman of dog advocacy group LI-Dog; Town Parks Commissioner Joe Pinto, Town Councilman Steve Labriola; dog advocate Jillian Hooey, who assisted the Town in this initiative; and Supervisor Saladino.
Oyster Bay Town Supervisor Joseph Saladino and Councilman Steve Labriola today unveiled a dozen neighborhood parks in communities throughout the Town where residents are now permitted to bring leashed pets. This new initiative builds on recent efforts to enhance dog-lover’s access to Town facilities, including upgrades to the Town’s existing Dog Park on the south shore and a commitment for a new north shore facility, for which construction is underway.
“Our pets are like family, and residents have been requesting that we give consideration to allowing them to enjoy our facilities with their dogs,” said Supervisor Saladino. “We are pleased to be able to unveil these new dog-friendly locations for our residents and their furry friends!”
“As a dog lover and owner of two, I understand how enjoyable it is to bring our pets on outings where they can enjoy the nice weather and get some exercise,” said Councilman Labriola. “I’ve spoken with many residents who have expressed their desires to walk their dogs at local neighborhood parks, and I immediately began working with the Parks Department to make that dream a reality.”
The Town Board recently voted to allow pets at neighborhood parks designated by the Town Parks Commissioner. Consideration was given to park utilization, location and usage. New signage has been placed at the designated parks advising residents that leashed pets are welcome. Dogs are only permitted at those locations specified by the Parks Commissioner, with the exception of serve animals. Current parks selected are:
- H-16, Hunter Lane & Northern Parkway, Hicksville.
- H-18, Tudor Road & Lyon Court, Hicksville.
- F-6, Lincoln Street & Meadow Court, Farmingdale.
- J-1, Maytime Drive & Mellow Lane, Jericho.
- B-11, Flamingo Drive & Caffrey Ave., Bethpage.
- M-15, Burton Lane & Unqua Road, Massapequa.
- M-16, Clocks Blvd. & Bayview Place, Massapequa.
- M-17, Pittsburgh Ave. & Westwood Road, Massapequa.
- P-15, Sylvia Lane & Warren Place.
- S-20, Split Rock Road & Radley Drive, Syosset.
- S-30, Market Drive & Woodbury Road, Syosset.
- S-17, Townsend Drive & Cold Spring Road, Syosset.