Total of Eight Long Island Communities to Soon See Lidl’s Rethought Approach To Grocery
Lidl US announced it will open a second wave of stores across Long Island by next summer. Shoppers in East Meadow, Oakdale, Patchogue and Lake Grove will be among the first to experience Lidl’s simple and efficient approach to grocery shopping and its price-cutting effect in the region. The wave will bring the total number of Lidl food markets to be opened in the region to eight, including stores in Plainview, W. Babylon, Huntington, and Center Moriches, which will open by early next year.
“We appreciate all the support we have received across Long Island as we prepare to open our first Lidl food markets in the region,” said Johannes Fieber, President & CEO of Lidl US. “Our teams are working hard to get ready and cannot wait to introduce shoppers to Lidl’s award-winning shopping experience. Lidl food markets will bring fresh choices, convenient shopping and bigger savings to shoppers across Long Island.”
As part of the transition, Lidl will remodel Best Market stores currently located in the four communities. Lidl recently announced that all employees working at the new Lidl stores in Nassau and Suffolk counties will receive full medical benefits regardless of the number of hours they work per week, including team members working part-time. Lidl also raised the starting minimum wage for store associates working on Long Island to $15 per hour, $3 more per hour than the required minimum on Long Island.
“I am excited for Lidl’s expansion to Long Island,” said New York State Senator Phil Boyle. “Lidl will provide excellent customer service and great savings. From their philanthropic work to their commitment to employees, I proudly welcome Lidl to our community.”
“I am pleased to welcome Lidl into our community,” said New York State Assemblyman Andrew Garbarino. “Lidl has established a unique approach to grocery that will enhance the experience for Long Islanders. With an attractive store model and streamlined processes, Lidl will bring efficiency for shoppers and greater wages and benefits to its team members.”
Lidl food markets have repeatedly won recognition for their shopping experience. Food & Wine Magazine recently ranked Lidl a Top 3 U.S. Supermarket – ahead of grocers like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. When entering a Lidl store, shoppers can expect fresh and healthy foods at low Lidl prices, including:
- Organic and gluten free products – hundreds across the assortment, and growing;
- Certified sustainable options that won’t break the bank;
- High Quality American Products, including Lidl’s full range of fresh, grass-fed organic beef;
- European Specialty Items ranging from hard-to-find cheeses to authentic specialty sauces, cured meats, beer and more;
- Award-winning products– more than 500 and counting!
- Weekly surprise and delight with Lidl Surprises, a rotating assortment of food and non-food specials brought in new each Wednesday;
- The Lidl Love it Guarantee– A logo that guarantees customer satisfaction; shoppers love the product they buy – or they are entitled to a refund, and a replacement.
- Attractive, Easy-to-Shop, and Brand New Store: Lidl Food Markets will have a newly fitted-out facility, featuring an easy-to-shop layout and streamlined shopping experience. Lidl stores have been recognized by the U.S. EPA for their environmental features and designs.
Lidl operates 10,800 stores and is active in 32 countries, employing around 287,000 employees globally. Lidl offers customers the highest quality fresh produce, meat, bakery items and a wide array of household products at the lowest possible prices. Lidl first established its U.S. headquarters in Arlington County, Virginia, in June 2015, and today sells its award-winning products in more than 70 stores across nine east coast states.