Sirens blared in the distance and flashing lights quickly came into view as the Bellport Fire Department swiftly responded to a couch burn demonstration at Kreamer Street Elementary School in the South Country Central School District.
As part of the Fire Prevention Month event, students across grade levels gathered outside of the school building as the local fire department extinguished a fully engulfed couch fire with help from building principal Sean Clark. Adorned in full firefighter personal protective equipment, Clark sprang into action with the firefighters to extinguish the blaze as students looked on in amazement.
“The Bellport Fire Department has been a wonderful partner of ours for years,” Clark said. “With their help, together we have organized several educational events teaching students fire safety and prevention.”
Throughout the month of October, Kreamer Street Elementary School students engaged in numerous fire prevention events and activities, introducing and reinforcing essential skills to remain safe in emergency situations.
Kreamer Street Elementary School Principal Sean Clarke (second from the left) and members of the Bellport Fire Department are pictured with students during the school’s Couch Burn.
Photo courtesy of the South Country Central School District